Can the Florida courts include my new spouses income when setting child support?

Under certain circumstances, yes. For instance, if your former spouse was moving to increase the amount of monthly child support then you could utilize the claim that you had subsequent child born from the relationship or marriage with your new wife. If you made that claim, than your new wife’s income or your new spouse’s income would be viewed by the court and used by the court in the calculation of child support.

The other circumstance generally would occur if the court sees that you are depleting assets or earning less income than you could be and that you are in fact depending on the income of your new spouse to live. If that’s the case, then under those certain limited circumstances the court can use the income of your new spouse, but generally speaking, no.

Board Certified Marital and Family Law Attorney Charles D. Jamieson understands that divorce is an extremely sensitive and important issue. Thanks to extensive experience and a focus on open communication, Attorney Jamieson adeptly addresses the complex issues surrounding divorce while delivering excellent personal service. To discuss the options for marital dissolution, please contact The Law Firm of Charles D. Jamieson, P.A. online or call 561-478-0312.