My spouse and I are going through a divorce and my child resents me, what can I do?

It’s a terrible thing when you have a child that you’ve loved and has loved you who you now start feeling resents you. The first thing you have to do is not take it personally. Their life is turned upside down. They may just be experiencing childhood angst because of that. Number two is get as much contact as you can and three, don’t take their resentment personally. Just keep being the parent you were before. Number four, seek out some coaching from a mental health professional who is familiar with dealing with children in a divorce case. They will certainly provide you tips, tricks and things to do to help minimize or eliminate the resentment.

Board Certified Marital and Family Law Attorney Charles D. Jamieson understands that divorce is an extremely sensitive and important issue. Thanks to extensive experience and a focus on open communication, Attorney Jamieson adeptly addresses the complex issues surrounding divorce while delivering excellent personal service. To discuss the options for marital dissolution, please contact The Law Firm of Charles D. Jamieson, P.A. online or call 561-478-0312.