How do I know if I am a victim of parental alienation?

You need to look at what’s going on between you and your child and you and your spouse, or former spouse. If your child is saying they don’t want to visit with you, if your child is saying negative things to you, if the child is not recalling any positive past experiences, and you’ve had a great relationship with your child in the past, you need to be concerned about a potential parental alienation.

At the same time, if you’re in a divorce or post-divorce circumstance, and one parent is blocking visitation with your child or setting up other alternative activities, such as “Don’t you want to go horseback riding today, honey, instead of seeing Daddy?” or “It’s Sally’s birthday party,” instead of seeing Daddy, or if you see your spouse actively denigrating or bad-mouthing you in the presence of your child or in the presence of others … Another subtle sign from your spouse can be if your spouse starts acting as if your daughter or your son is not safe being with you. If you see any, or all, or even a portion, of these behaviors, then you have to be concerned parental alienation may be going on and you need to seek help.

Board Certified Marital and Family Law Attorney Charles D. Jamieson understands that divorce is an extremely sensitive and important issue. Thanks to extensive experience and a focus on open communication, Attorney Jamieson adeptly addresses the complex issues surrounding divorce while delivering excellent personal service. To discuss the options for marital dissolution, please contact The Law Firm of Charles D. Jamieson, P.A. online or call 561-478-0312.