When do grandparents or other relatives have custody?

There are only two limited circumstances in which grandparents or other relatives may have custody. One is when the department of children and family’s involved. If the department of children and families remove the children from the natural parents’ care, then they are required to look at other relatives of close blood proximity to place the children. That includes grandparents, aunts and uncles. In those circumstances the children can be placed there although those people do not have technical custody.

The other circumstance occurs in family court where an aunt and uncle or a grandparent has had placement or the child’s been there at least six months and both parents sign off, or the aunt, uncle, or grandparent can prove to a high level of proof that the parents have abused, abandoned, or neglected the child.

Board Certified Marital and Family Law Attorney Charles D. Jamieson understands that divorce is an extremely sensitive and important issue. Thanks to extensive experience and a focus on open communication, Attorney Jamieson adeptly addresses the complex issues surrounding divorce while delivering excellent personal service. To discuss the options for marital dissolution, please contact The Law Firm of Charles D. Jamieson, P.A. online or call 561-478-0312.