How can I file for grandparent rights in Florida?

Filing for grandparents rights in Florida regarding your grandchildren are very limited. It’s limited primarily to filing a temporary custody action for third parties. In that type of action, you have to establish that the child or children have been residing with you for at least six months, that the parents have either abused, abandoned or neglected the children or both parents sign off.

So under those circumstances, yes you can obtain grandparents rights for custody temporarily.
In terms of visitation or time sharing, under our statutes and case law, the statute that exists for grandparent visitation/time-sharing have been declared unconstitutional. So grandparents rights in Florida currently are limited to that temporary custodial fashion.

Board Certified Marital and Family Law Attorney Charles D. Jamieson understands that divorce is an extremely sensitive and important issue. Thanks to extensive experience and a focus on open communication, Attorney Jamieson adeptly addresses the complex issues surrounding divorce while delivering excellent personal service. To discuss the options for marital dissolution, please contact The Law Firm of Charles D. Jamieson, P.A. online or call 561-478-0312.