Do we need a letter of permission to seek medical help if emergencies arise for our grandchildren?

The answer is yes. If the parents are going out of state, always obtain a letter providing you the authority to obtain medical assistance, enroll your children in school, or do anything else, or extra curricular activities, or anything else that would require parental permission. Hospitals cannot provide treatment unless the parents are present to give their permission, unless it’s an emergency. You don’t want your grandchild to be placed in that circumstance.