Can grandparents open a child support case to establish support for their grandchildren?

This really revolves around the issue called standing. Do they have the legal authority to bring such an action? Ordinarily the answer would be no. Child support really comes with the authority of being a parent of a child. In Florida and some other states, grandparents don’t ordinarily have those rights. However, if the grandparents qualify for bringing a temporary custody action by third parties pursuant to the applicable Florida statute or the applicable statute in other states, then they would under those limited circumstances have the authority to bring a child support action.

However, that’s an action limited to the child having resided with them for at least six months and their being able to prove either that the parents have abused, neglected, or abandoned the child, or having the parents sign off giving them the authority to be that temporary custodian.

Board Certified Marital and Family Law Attorney Charles D. Jamieson understands that divorce is an extremely sensitive and important issue. Thanks to extensive experience and a focus on open communication, Attorney Jamieson adeptly addresses the complex issues surrounding divorce while delivering excellent personal service. To discuss the options for marital dissolution, please contact The Law Firm of Charles D. Jamieson, P.A. online or call 561-478-0312.