My former partner and I both want the children. How can a lawyer help us in a LG divorce?

Your lawyer can assist you in this case by first identifying if the children are a viable issue. In other words, are you both legal parents? If you’re both legal parents of the child, then the divorce would proceed just as a heterosexual divorce. The court would be looking at identifying the best interest of the child. You can look at those at the statute but generally speaking, if you are attempting to maintain foster, a continuing and meaningful relationship with the child or children, with your spouse and if you’re trying to keep the other spouse informed of your child’s life, then you are going to be honoring the best interest of the child and you’ll be generally maximizing your chance for obtaining majority time sharing.