Will the court appoint an attorney to represent my children in the divorce. If so who pays that attorney?

I hate to get the response, “It depends,” but this is a circumstance where it clearly depends upon the facts of the case. In Florida, if you have a case dealing with paternity and there is a paternity test that may be at issue, then the law says the child must have an attorney ad litem or an attorney appointed for the child. If you have a situation where the child’s rights or privileges with a therapist or in some other kind of confidential relationship is called into question, then the law is also clear that depending upon the age of the child, an attorney will be appointed. After that, it’s a question upon what’s the issue and how old is the child? But let’s assume for a moment that it is appropriate for an attorney to be appointed. In that case the court is going to look to divide between the two parents, appropriately proportionate to their income or in some other fashion, the expense for the attorney because the attorney is for the best interest of the child and therefore both parents should be contributing to that.

Board Certified Marital and Family Law Attorney Charles D. Jamieson understands that divorce is an extremely sensitive and important issue. Thanks to extensive experience and a focus on open communication, Attorney Jamieson adeptly addresses the complex issues surrounding divorce while delivering excellent personal service. To discuss the options for marital dissolution, please contact The Law Firm of Charles D. Jamieson, P.A. online or call 561-478-0312.