What is the first thing that I should do if I am served with a summons and complaint in Florida?

The first thing you should do is read carefully the contents of the complaint and the summons. You have 20 days in which to respond to this petition. If you don’t, you can be defaulted and all the relief that your other spouse is asking, may be granted to them. The second thing you should do is immediately contact an attorney, who is experienced in family law to review with you the contents of the petition, discuss with you, your fears concerns and goals in this case and device with you an immediate game plan of how to deal with this petition and divorce.