What do I do to protect my children when I believe that the other parent is abusing illegal substances?

Clearly this is a clear connection for risk for the children. So you want to bring some kind of action with the court, but in order to succeed with that action you have to have evidence. So you need to get evidence that the substance abuse is occurring. This means finding some kind of social media posting by the spouse in question. It could be finding a witness who has seen the substance abuse, you can also file motion to have testing done. If you’re going to have testing done with substance abuses, non-alcohol, in other words drugs, then I recommend hair follicle testing.

Once you have some kind of proof of that, then you can move forward with the court to have some kind of process put into place to protect the children from the spouse who is illegally using illegal substances that puts the child at risk.

Board Certified Marital and Family Law Attorney Charles D. Jamieson understands that divorce is an extremely sensitive and important issue. Thanks to extensive experience and a focus on open communication, Attorney Jamieson adeptly addresses the complex issues surrounding divorce while delivering excellent personal service. To discuss the options for marital dissolution, please contact The Law Firm of Charles D. Jamieson, P.A. online or call 561-478-0312.