My son passed away, I’ve cared for my granddaughter who is 18 months for the past 8 months. The living parent does not want to allow me time with my granddaughter, do I have rights?

In this question, you do not say if you still have care of the grandchild or not. If the mother has care of the grandchild now and you do not, then you have no rights of contact unless she permits it. If that mother is abusing, abandoning, or neglecting the child, then you should report that issue to DCF. If you are still caring for the child, and you believe that the parent has abused, abandoned, or neglected the child, you can still report it to DCF. If you believe you have substantial and a high level of proof of abandonment, abuse, or neglect, you can file a petition in Family Court for temporary custody.